Why should Boy Scouts have all the fun? Today, I’m inspired by a list of Things I Did Because I Was a Boy Scout.
Here is my story.
Things I Did Because I Was a Girl Scout
- Camped through a tornado.
- Wrote about that tornado camping trip and won a writing contest for Woman’s Day magazine in the 5th grade.
- Learned about respecting the flag and how to retire it.
- Camped in rain, sleet and snow. Still most memorable part of my junior high years.
- Was a camp counselor.
- Went to the Final Four.
- Performed in synchronized swimming shows.
- Learned owl calls well enough that a barred owl came for me! (Yikes!)
- Helped girls raise money to support two girls in Haiti through school for the entire year.
- Climbed a rock wall for the first time at age 40. Even got off the ground.
- Canoed. A lot. And passed that love on to my girls.
- Tried archery. Found I loved it though I am a terrible shot.
- Earned my Gold Award.
- Slept in a cave.
- Messed up my rotator cuff in said cave.
- Learned I was claustrophobic inside the cave. But proud I attempted the wild cave tour.
- Made awesome friends I can lean on at any time.
- Learned how to cook in a clay flower pot.
- Learned that tampons and Doritos both work as emergency fire starters.
- Hiked in a dozen state parks.
- Helped make shoes for kids in Uganda.
- Collected shoes for kids after a tornado ripped through a community south of us.
- Played with worms.
- Helped make 200 bedtime bags for homeless kids in our county.
- Learned about how children struggle to survive in other countries.
- Learned knots well enough to teach the Boy Scouts.
- Learned to leave no trace.
- Camped in 3 Girl Scout camps in 3 months.
- Planted trees and a garden to save the bees.
- Played water balloon baseball with light sabers.
- Went to Juliette Lowe birthplace.
- Learned to care for an ankle break first hand. Because sometimes the signs aren’t textbook.
- Helped girls come up with a plan for rope bridge safety after my daughter broke her ankle. Watched as they shared it with the ranger, and proud that some will take it to Bronze.
- Helped kids through heat and diabetic emergencies.
- Wiped tears. Gave hugs. Was there.
What things have you done because you were a Girl Scout? Share your story!