Here is my confession: Chinese New Year is my prime excuse to spend hours in the kitchen making authentic Chinese food. But eating well isn’t the only way we can ring in the Year of the Monkey on Feb. 8, 2016.
Here are 10 ways to celebrate Chinese New Year with your troop:
- Read this colorful description of Chinese New Year celebrations.
- Learn a Chinese New Year song.
- Eat! Try making egg rolls, Chinese chicken soup, rice balls or Chinese dumplings or a more complex dish.
- Do Chinese New Year’s Readers Theatre.
- Make Chinese lanterns.
- Play this Chinese New Year board game for younger students.
- Make a Chinese New Year Zodiac wheel. Find out if you were born in the Year of the Monkey.
- Try your hand at Chinese calligraphy.
- Create shadow puppets.
- Have a Chinese New Year celebration, complete with a dragon dance!
Looking for more great ideas for your troop? Don’t miss out on our newsletter.