A few days ago, I saw on the Facebook page for the World Association of Girl Guides and Girl Scouts about an online Thinking Day event for girls around the world. How amazing is that?
Our Cadette troop had participated in a World Thinking Day online chat with scouts around the world through ScoutLink two years ago, but a formal event like this is an amazing way to harness today’s technology!
I emailed WAGGGS to get information for my own girls, and I do have permission to share some of the updates with you.
At the moment, our plans are still coming together, but for some more information: we are planning to join girls up from countries all over the world for a live chat. This is a chance for groups to share World Thinking Day celebrations, your impact stories, and Girl Guiding or Girl Scouting in your country. We’ll provide some talking points and ideas for activities, but we’d love to see your group bringing a unique twist to your conversations!
What you will need:
– A computer or phone with good internet connection and a full battery – The party will be hosted on Google hangouts, so you’ll need an internet connection that is somewhat reliable. You’ll also need to make sure ahead of time that you can use Google hangouts to join the fun!
– Parental consent – All girls from your group who will be joining in online will need to have consent from their parents or guardians. The call will be available for others to watch and ask questions, so this is vital.
– An hour in your celebrations – At the moment, we’re looking for an hour of your time – 30 mins to chat with one group, and 30 mins to lead the conversation with the next group. This is subject to change depending on your feedback.
What we need from you now:
– When will you be celebrating? – We’ll be putting a schedule together of all the groups who will be joining the online party, so we’ll need to know when your group will be available to join in. Please let us know the time and the time zone (e.g. 19:00 – 20.30 GMT, 6.30pm – 8.30pm IST) so we can all avoid confusion. Please check whether you will be in daylight savings time on 22 February.
– Your country and member organisation – some of our MOs (member organizations) have overseas branches. So you could be a member of Girl Scouts USA based in Japan! We want to see girls from all over the world joining in.
– The age group of your troop/unit
– What language(s) will you join in?
Please note that we have already had a huge amount of interest in joining the party, it’s so exciting to have so much interest! We’ll do everything we can to make sure every group who wants to can be part of the online celebrations, however time slots will be allocated on a first come first serve basis to those who confirm their availability.
We can’t wait to celebrate World Thinking Day with everyone!
Email email@example.com to get started!
Looking for more ideas for celebrating World Thinking Day? Check out our World Thinking Day discussion group on Facebook.